Basics of California Law for LMFTs, LPCCs, and LCSWs - Fourth edition (2017) - Paperback
- Free Standard Shipping within the continental US. Make sure to select Standard Shipping at checkout.
- Note: This page is where you can order the paperback version. If you are interested in the digital version with live hyperlinks to state law and other web resources, click here.
- Limited stock. If we run out and purchasing here is disabled, the paperback is also available on amazon or you can get the digital version here.
Written by a therapist for other therapists (and therapists in training), Basics of California Law takes the many nuances of California law and regulation and puts them in digestible, easy-to-apply language. It covers all three of California's major masters-level mental health professions: Marriage and Family Therapy, Professional Clinical Counseling, and Clinical Social Work.
What's New: The fourth edition is updated to 2017 law, and includes new material on:
- Life coaching
- Emotional support animals
- New licensing exams
- Forthcoming title change from "intern" to "associate" for MFTs and PCCs
- New telehealth regulations
- Other states allowing temporary therapy via telehealth
- Working with clients on conservatorship
- Record-keeping for abuse reports
- Consent with minors whose parents are divorced
- Business structures
- Fee setting and antitrust
- And more.
Contents: The chapter list for the fourth edition matches prior editions, with the exception of Chapter 8 being renamed "Business and Marketing." That chapter contains new material on licenses and permits, employment law, fee setting, and related business issues.
- Scope of Practice
- Licensing Requirements
- Unprofessional Conduct
- Informed Consent
- Confidentiality and Privilege
- Working with Minors (including child abuse reporting)
- Working with Elders and Dependent Adults
- Business and Marketing
The text includes more than 450 footnotes identifying specific articles, links, and sections of California law and regulation that serve as reference material for this text.
Reviews: Basics of California Law for LMFTs, LPCCs, and LCSWs has been praised as "the comprehensive resource I've wanted for my graduate school courses" by Kathy Wexler, LMFT, LPCC. Diane Gehart, author of Mastering Competencies in Family Therapy, calls it "an indispensable resource for students, educators, and practicing clinicians." It is perfect for students learning about the state laws governing their profession, interns preparing for their licensing exams, and clinicians keeping current on state law. Reader reviews have averaged 4.9 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
About the author: Author Benjamin E. Caldwell, PsyD teaches Law and Ethics for California State University Northridge in Los Angeles and The Wright Institute in Berkeley, CA. As the Legislative and Advocacy Committee Chair for AAMFT-CA, he has driven forward changes in state laws around reparative therapy, hours for licensure, and the forthcoming intern title change.
Course instructors: If you are using Basics of California Law as a required text in your class, or would like to review it for adoption consideration, you may be eligible to receive an instructor review copy at no charge. Please visit this page for additional information.
Shipping information: Shipping costs are calculated based on the shipping options and location you enter in the checkout process. For shipping timeframes, click here.